Archive for category about me
This list is inspired by the post “Top 10 Lessons from the Decade from Hell” on BNet.
- Getting away from family to attend college is the best decision you can make for yourself. Not only do you learn how to navigate the real world around you, the time you spend away from your annoying family members teaches you how to love them no matter what.
- Living in a sorority house teaches you the true meaning of “roll with the punches”. You appreciate it and still live that way 10 years later.
- Putting up with the worst traits a person can have does not equal “true love”. Or even real “love”. It just means you’re too lazy/scared/stupid to end things before they get bad.
- Be a student of Life, before you rack up the student loans. You’ll learn more about what you want to do in life after the age of 24… 25… and 26 than you could ever even guess to be your “passion” at the age of 18.
- Know what’s going on in the world, even if you are in the “safety net” of college — what’s happening now will impact your paycheck and standard of living in 3, 5 and even 10 years down the road.
- “The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds. Think big anyway.” – The Paradoxical Commandments by Kent Keith
- Always speak up. Even if your idea isn’t the final decision or the best out there… at least you gave people something to chew on, and likely gave them reason to ask for your input in the future.
- Always have a hand in your future (see above note). Even if you can’t completely control it, at least you tried. You don’t want to look back 10 years from now thinking, “Man, I wish I’d…” or “Dude, I should’a…”.
- Marry your best friend. You really need to like that person when all the exciting stuff dies down and you still have 50+ years to tackle together.
- Real leaders don’t have titles. You can always have a positive impact on someone else’s life, regardless of what position or role you are in, and most importantly… regardless of what your title is. And in the end, all that matters are the relationships you have with other people, so make the best of them and do good for others.
I’m trying to do a better job of keeping up with my blog, so here’s the latest on my activities and interests:
Mondays I go to Indian Creek Christian Church in Franklin Township for a Beth Moore bible study on the book of Daniel. I absolutely love it. It’s the first bible study I’ve ever done, and I’ve learned so much!! This one lasts for 12 weeks, and we’re about 1/2 way done. I want to do another one whenever they do another. I also work from home on Mondays, so for a while I was doing Pilates with my mom, but it got too expensive for me…
Recently I’ve been working out at the office after work Tuesday thru Friday. I shouldn’t say “recently” as if it’s a habit. It’s not. It happened for the first time last week, and so it’s a very new “activity”. I am looking for gym memberships so that I can workout AND take classes, and not pay out the wah-zoo. If you have recommendations in the Franklin Township/Southport area, please advise.
So that’s about it. Jason and I spend much of our time on the couch, watching all the crap we’ve DVR’d. I watch Girlmore Girls on ABC Family every single day. I mean it. Every day. I go nuts without my daily serving of Gilmore Girls.
Charlie is a nutcase, but cute as can be. No matter what he does, you still think he’s adorable and talk babytalk to him. For example, today I was trying something new with him and he made a mess on the carpet. He knew he’d done a bad thing, and he cried REAL tears while he was doing it, but couldn’t stop! It was so cute! When he was done, he put himself in timeout in his kennel. How can you be mad at him?!? I can’t. So, he’s rotten and gets his way all the time. Right now, we’re teaching him “highfive” and we’re going to teach him how to “shake”. But not your typical “shake’, this is going to be way cooler. Just you wait!
I just had to shoo Charlie outta the closet. He likes to play in small spaces.
OK< I’m going to cuddle with Captain Awesome. Look for more updates, more often!
In my “prior life”, as we’ll call it, one of the biggest reasons I was so unhappy was because I was so alone. The person that I was supposed to be sharing my life with never had time to spend with me…. or if we did spend time together, we were around other people, usually talking cop sh*t. I guess I’m not necessarily complaining that I wanted alone time with him… I just didn’t want to be all by myself. All the time.
I hate the feeling of being alone. Hate it. I’m so scarred by the life I used to live that I can’t even handle working from home all day by myself on Mondays. Or more than 1 evening in a row alone. Even having the dog hasn’t helped.
I guess I’m needy. I don’t need undivided attention 24/7… but I need a hug every so often. Let me know I’m not alone, and that I’m making it thru this crazy life OK. That the battles I have to face, have faced, or will face aren’t resting solely on my shoulders.
Whenever I’m asked to describe myself, I often say “I’m pretty go-with-the-flow”. I use this to mean I don’t get hung up on things beyond my control and I tend to take each of life’s turns as a new trip to go on.
Sometimes people interpret “go-with-the-flow” as lazy or unmotivated to make change and take a stand against things that are important to your values. That is completely not the case.
So I’m changing my tune to say “I’m like a river”.
Rivers have a destination — most of the time they flow to the sea. As they run by their obstacles, they wear away a bit of the resistance. Over time, they erode the things that get in their way — sometimes they just wait until they have the power & resources to wash over them, sometimes they just knock ’em down altogether. Usually, they just patiently wait until their time has come.
Instead of head-on confrontation, rivers are good at easing by the obstacles in life, gently smoothing away the edges of resistance with reason and compassion. All the while trusting that loved ones will exert sufficient influence to keep me under control.
I’m like a river.
that doing your own thing is fun again.
One day I’ll get to show what I feel…
If you were falling, then I would catch you. You need a light, I’d find a
match. Cuz I love the way you say good morning. And you take me the way I
If you are chilly, here take my sweater. Your head is aching, I’ll
make it better. Cuz I love the way you call me baby. And you take me the way
I’d buy you Rogaine if you start losing all your hair. Sew on
patches to all you tear. Cuz I love you more than I could ever promise. And
you take me the way I am.
“The Way I Am” by Ingrid Michaelson
this is a rundown of my evenings for the next few weeks… I’m already exhausted just looking at this…
- Monday (4/7): Kristin & Shawn’s 10-yr Anniversary — dinner & whatever… turned into just “whatever”….blah.
- Tuesday: Class / Pacers Game with Jason
- Wednesday: Class / Group Project / then ??
- Thursday: Flower Shopping & Invite Designing with Katie (and Nana!), Dinner @ the Pub???
- Friday: Dinner with Murray in B-Ripple
- Saturday (4/12): Pub Crawl @ Purdue with Bobby, Maggie, Jason, Kyle, Kelly, and Chris
- Sunday: …???… Complete Group Project Presentation & Paper.
- Monday (4/14): put together Alpha Phi Care Packages with Shelli & my Phis.
- Tuesday: Class, then ???
- Wednesday: Class (Group Project Presentation), then ???
- Thursday (4/17): LUDA’s BIRFFDAY!!!!!!!!!!
- Friday (4/18): Brett’s Birthday & HR Dept Volunteer Day
- Saturday: FREE
- Sunday: FREE
- Monday: FREE
- Tuesday (4/22): Class, then ???
- Wednesday: FREE
- Thursday: FREE
- Friday (4/25): JA Bowl-a-thon
- Saturday (4/26): Kara & Josh’s Housewarming Cookout
- Sunday: FREE
- Monday: FREE
- Tuesday (4/29): Last Ops Strategy Class
- Wednesday (4/30): Last Org Stewardship Class
- Thurs(5/1) to Tues (5/6): San Pedro Town, Belize!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the odd thing is… when I have a few hours to myself, I’m almost immediately bored. What happened to the days of spending my entire evening (every evening) on the couch watching TV, cuddled with Bailey and surfin‘ the web (all at the same time LOL)?? I miss those days…